Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Hair Dye! Black hair at last.

I thought of about eighteen puns for the title of this post, but decided to spare you all.

Speaking of "you all", my imaginary audience, I have decided to stop procrastinating and start blogging.  There will never be a perfect first entry.  Waiting for it is like waiting for Santa Claus or the Green Line-- it will never come and by the time you stop waiting you will have wasted many precious years you cannot recover and be a bitter jaded shadow of your former self.

Yes Virginia, there is an E line.


SO.

I finally dyed my hair black for the first time this summer.  My poor, sad hair has been pretty much every color except black in the 10 years I've been dying it.  To be honest, black made me nervous.  Being a natural dark strawberry blonde, I was afraid it would make me look like I was wearing a bad wig. Also, I'd heard horror stories about how hard it is to do well and to maintain.  I've been so bored with my hair (and my life, omg) lately that I said to hell with it and dyed it black anyway.  The cheapest dye that came in not-at-all-natural-for-caucasians-black was by Nice 'n' Easy.  Gotta trust anything with an 'n'.

That is a life lesson right there.

Well, after the first try, in which my roommate's gloves leaked, dying her hand a nasty, flesh-eating-disease-green, I treated and wash my hair and dried it only to discover that there was still a huge brown patch.  not like a tolerable, highlighty kind of patch either, sadly.  So we dug the bottle out of the trash and did it again.  I realized that if i stuck with black, I'd have to get it done by a professional.  It's probably worth the extra bit of money for the assurance that it's even and that you don't look like a baby bat after their first hair dye experiment in the bathtub (which is fine when you're 13, don't get me wrong).

[There should be a picture here, but I never took one and now my roots are a million miles long and gross, but here, have a picture of Mike Green's floppy luscious hair as a filler]


It totally changed the texture of my hair, which is really weird.  I had trouble putting it up in a ponytail, but it makes my eyeliner look so much darker and crisper, so-- worth it. Especially after I had it re-dyed by someone who knows what they're doing.

ALL THIS ASIDE, I was right.  Black hair is mad difficult to maintain.  I've already admitted defeat.  My next plan is to let it grow out a bit more, then dye my roots a contrasting bright red or purple so it looks like I did it on purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment